Re: Hosting MySQL images in OpenShift Origin

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Aaron Weitekamp <aweiteka redhat com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Ben Parees <bparees redhat com> wrote:
And this application which deploys both a DB and an application that communicates with that DB:
https://github.com/openshift/origin/blob/master/examples/quickstarts/cakephp-mysql.json  (source for the application is here: https://github.com/openshift/cakephp-ex)

I would not necessarily expect you to deploy a single mysql instance and have each app create its own DB in that instance.  I'd expect each app to just deploy its own mysql instance for testing.  I think you will find that easier to setup.

While one db per app is straightforward and there​
​ are many examples of this, aren't there benefits to hosting a single DB​
​ service that apps can use? This is the enterprise model. It seems to me the question is how to share a service across projects. Once that's in place it should "just work" but I couldn't figure out how that might be done. oc policy ... ?

​by default, a service is accessible to all other projects, no policy needed.  the challenge you have is creating the additional DBs in the mysql instance.  Our image creates one DB for you, if you want to create more, its up to you to exec into the DB container and run mysql commands to create more databases.