Re: oc export

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 6:20 AM, Tomas Kral <tkral redhat com> wrote:

On 03/14/2016 07:11 PM, Aaron Weitekamp wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Tomas Kral <tkral redhat com
> <mailto:tkral redhat com>> wrote:
>
>     Thank you, that makes sense, but this is also what was afraid of :(
>
>     We want to be able to export any arbitrary application that we know
>     nothing about :(
>     Now we need to figure out which object were generated by OpenShift
>     internally and which one were created by developer.
>

> ​You're introducing an additional requirement. :) Can you confirm the
> initial problem is resolved?

Not really, because I don't know how application was deployed.
My initial assumption that `oc export all` will somehow magically solve
this for every application was wrong :(
If I'm the one who deployed application than yes, I know what objects to
export. But if someone else created application it is hard for me to
figure out what to export.

​I think we need to understand the full use case. Maybe there's something that can be done to help you achieve what you're looking for. Right now it's hard to understand why the person who did the original deployment​
​ isn't involved in the export or migration. Can you spell out what you're trying to do?

> If you're comfortable with exporting everything in a project then
> replace "all" with the set of resources Clayton listed.

You and Clayton suggested doing `oc export dc,svc,route,is` but what if
application also includes ReplicationControllers that were created
directly without DeploymentConfig?
For example I have RC that was created "directly by user" and other RC
that was created by DC. Now I need to export only first RC and instead
of second one I should export DC.

It looks like, that for our use case, we need to export 'all' and than
do some filtering.
This is was what my followup question was about.

Is there a way how to figure out what objects were created by user and
what objects were generated by OpenShift?
Can annotations that I have mentioned be used for this?

> It is
> dangerously presumptive that there's only one "application" in a
> project. You may export unexpected objects depending on what the user
> has deployed in the project.​

This is deliberate simplification to make things little easier for us.
We are exporting whole project, because right now I don't have any idea
how we are going to decide what is "one application" or how user of this
exporter should specify this.