Re: Outreachy projects

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 1:14 AM, Lori Nitzel <lorinitzel mac com> wrote:
Hello! I’d like to inquire about the projects you have listed for potential Outreachy internships. I’m interested in learning more - I’m fairly new to programming and web development, however, so I think I'll need a little guidance in order to contribute. :-) I’m graduating from the Galvanize bootcamp in early April and the main language taught to students in the program is _javascript_. I realize that your projects require Python - I’m quite interested in learning Python after seeing a presentation on it a few weeks ago. If I’m not too much of a newbie for your projects, please let me know. I’m specifically interested in the Faster Than Light framework and contributing to any documentation you may need assistance with. That said, I’m really open to anything. I’m eager to learn! Thanks very much!

Lori,

I don't think learning Python should be too big of a challenge for the majority of our projects. The FTL installer framework may be a bit of a challenge if you are new to programming and Python in particular, though.

That said, if you want to take a closer look at the FTL project: https://github.com/openshift/outreachy#ftl, we have started creating the development/test framework here for it: https://github.com/ftl-toolbox/ftl_installer and have a couple of Pull requests open for the initial proposal discussions on the workflow and configuration file formats. The idea behind the project is to have a yaml driven workflow that allows for installers to be built without modifying python code, so the workflow file will drive python code within the ftl_installer project to prompt the user for questions, drive workflow steps including complex decision branches based on answers to questions, perform various actions that will call pre-configured methods in the framework as well as plugable add-ons the user provides. Since we are still in the early stages there are not a lot of good examples that we will be able to point to, which could make for a very steep learning curve.

Since you mentioned documentation as well, the upstream documentation project: https://github.com/openshift/outreachy#upstream-openshift-ansible-documentation will be mostly about learning how to install OpenShift using openshift-ansible and helping us document configuration features that are available that have not yet been added to the documentation here: https://docs.openshift.org/latest/welcome/index.html. Outside of reading the Ansible playbooks, roles, and plugins to find variables that aren't documented, I don't expect this project would involve much programming (unless you come across an undocumented feature that is broken and feel like fixing it). Even without the programming, this is probably one of the most important projects we have listed, since it is the most visible to our end users.

Somewhere in between the above projects is the project for creating new ansible modules: https://github.com/openshift/outreachy#shiny-new-ansible-modules-for-openshift. The goal for this project is mostly to help us streamline the way we are installing by removing multiple complicated steps in our ansible playbooks/roles and converting them into custom ansible modules that would perform those steps in an idempotent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idempotence) and repeatable way. We have a few examples of custom modules that can be used as guides as well as all of the upstream Ansible modules that are available: https://github.com/ansible/ansible-modules-core and https://github.com/ansible/ansible-modules-extras. There may even be opportunities to submit modules created for this project for inclusion in the Ansible project itself.

If you want any more information on any of the advertised projects, or would like some help getting a test environment setup for any of the projects, just let us know and we can help guide you through the process. We are also present in the #openshift-outreachy channel on Freenode (IRC) to help out during US Eastern Daylight Time working hours.

--
Jason DeTiberus