Re: Three-tier application deployment on OpenShift origin

Hi Olga,

Some responses inline/

Erik M Jacobs, RHCA
Principal Technical Marketing Manager, OpenShift Enterprise
Red Hat, Inc.
Phone: 646.462.3745
AOL Instant Messenger: ejacobsatredhat
Twitter: @ErikonOpen
Freenode: thoraxe

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 9:34 AM, ABDALA Olga <Olga ABDALA solucom fr> wrote:

Hello all,

I am done with my origin advanced installation (thanks to your useful help) which architecture is composed of 4 virtualized servers (on the same network):

-       1  Master

-       2 Nodes

-       1 VM hosting Ansible

My next steps are to implement/test some use cases with a three-tier App(each App’s tier being hosted on a different VM):

-       The horizontal scalability;

-       The load-balancing of the Nodes : Keep the system running even if one of the VMs goes down;

-       App’s monitoring using Origin API: Allow the Origin API to “tell” the App on which VM is hosted each tier. (I still don’t know how to test that though…)

There are some notions that are still not clear to me:

-       From my web console, how can I know on which Node has my App been deployed?

If you look in the Browse -> Pods -> select a pod, you should see the node where the pod is running.

-       How can I put each component of my App on a separated Node?

-       How does the “zones” concept in origin work?

These two are closely related.

1) In your case it sounds like you would want a zone for each tier: appserver, web server, db
2) This would require a node with a label of, for example, zone=appserver
3) When you create your pod (or replication controller, or deployment config) you would want to specify, via a nodeselector, which zone you want the pod(s) to land in

This stuff is scattered throughout the docs:

https://docs.openshift.org/latest/admin_guide/manage_nodes.html#updating-labels-on-nodes
https://docs.openshift.org/latest/dev_guide/deployments.html#assigning-pods-to-specific-nodes

I hope this helps.

Content of /etc/ansible/hosts of my Ansible hosting VM:

[masters]

sv5305.selfdeploy.loc

# host group for nodes, includes region info

[nodes]

sv5305.selfdeploy.loc openshift_node_labels="{'region': 'infra', 'zone': 'default'}" openshift_schedulable=false

sv5306.selfdeploy.loc openshift_node_labels="{'region': 'primary', 'zone': 'east'}"

sv5307.selfdeploy.loc openshift_node_labels="{'region': 'primary', 'zone': 'west'}"

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Olga