RE: Three-tier application deployment on OpenShift origin

Hello Erik,

Please find my comments inline

De : Erik Jacobs [mailto:ejacobs redhat com]
Envoyé : mercredi 4 mai 2016 17:32
À : ABDALA Olga
Cc : dev lists openshift redhat com
Objet : Re: Three-tier application deployment on OpenShift origin

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:30 AM, ABDALA Olga <Olga ABDALA solucom fr> wrote:

Hello Erik,

Thank you for your inputs.

However, while trying to update the label for my Nodes, here is what I get:

labels are single key/value pairs. You are trying to add an additional zone label without specifying --overwrite. You cannot have multiple values for the same key.

Same thing if I try to update my pods’ labels.

Changing a pod label is not what you want to do. You want to change the pod nodeselector.

Ø  Yes I guess that is what I will have to change

For the NodeSelector, where can I find the pod configuration file, for me to specify the Node,  please?

Is it in the master-config.yaml file?

master-config.yaml is the master configuration, not a "pod configuration". "pod configuration" is kind of a strange statement. You probably mean "pod definition".

Ø  By « pod definition », do you mean the pod yaml file?

We'll ignore nodeselector and master-config because while it's a thing, it won't do what you want. If you're interested, docs here: https://docs.openshift.org/latest/admin_guide/managing_projects.html#setting-the-cluster-wide-default-node-selector.

Ø  After checking the docs, My question is : if the defaultNodeSelector in the master config file is set for a specific region, does that mean that pods will never be placed on the Nodes of that specific region?

What you want to change is the pod nodeselector. I linked to the docs:

Ø  Just to make sure ; by setting a value to the « nodeSelector », will that put my pod to the specified Node?

I don't know how you created your pods, so how you change/add nodeselector depends.

Ø  Actualy, I did not really ‘create’ the pods. What I did is, after creating a project and adding my application to the project, 1 pod was automatically created. From there, I simply increased the number of pods (from the web console) to as many as I wanted.

Ø  By the way, I wanted to set something clear in my head regarding the pods. Does the number of pods mean the number of the application’s ‘versions’?

Since you have builds, I am guessing that you used something like "new-app". new-app will have created a deploymentconfig. You would want to edit the deploymentconfig, find the pod template, and then add the nodeselector as shown in the docs above.

Thank you!

Olga