From: Rodolfo Carvalho <rcarvalh redhat com>
Date: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 10:39 AM
To: Srinivas Naga Kotaru <skotaru cisco com>
Cc: Mateus Caruccio <mateus caruccio getupcloud com>, dev <dev lists openshift redhat com>
Subject: Re: Container UUID

If you need this at runtime for your application, another way is to generate the uuid in the entrypoint command:

Let's say your container runs "/usr/bin/myapp" on start up.

You can change containers[0].command to be something like:

env UUID=$(uuidgen) /usr/bin/myapp

Of course that has drawbacks:

- Processes you run via `oc exec` or `oc rsh` will not know about the variable (which might be an advantage depending on what you want)

- You cannot inspect it from the Web Console or CLI, only if you add some plugs to your app or some hackish logging to the command above

- perhaps others

Rodolfo Carvalho | OpenShift