deploying to cluster with no persistent volumes

I know any real platform should have PVs set up, but in dev/poc
situations that doesn't always exist. It would be nice as a normal
user to be able to discover if my persistent volume claim can be
satisfied by the platform before I make the claim.

I see that theoretically for openshift I can check the quota:

oc describe quota/object-counts

I don't know if this works for kube though.

Is there a way to query the platform to say "i'd like to make this
claim, can you tell me if it would succeed"? i.e. checking if I'm
allowed and if it is even possible (enough storage exists, etc).

If this doesn't exist would it be a good feature request?

Thanks,
Dusty