Re: Quota Policies

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Srinivas Naga Kotaru (skotaru) <skotaru cisco com> wrote:

Hi

I’m trying to frame a policy for best usage of compute resources for our environment. I stared reading documentation on this topic. Although documentation is pretty limited on this topic with working examples, now I have some better understanding on quota and limtrange objects.

We are planning to enforce quota and limtrange on every project as part of project provision. Client can increase these limits by going to modify screen on our system and pay the cost accordingly. Goal is to have high efficient cluster resource usage and minimal client disturbance.

Have few questions around implementation?

Can we exclude build, deploy like short time span pods from quota restrictions?

There are two quotas - one for terminating pods (pods that are guaranteed to finish in a certain time period) and one for non-terminating pods.

Quotas enforced only running pods or dead pods, pending status, succeeded?

Once a pod terminates (failed, succeeded) it is not counted for quota.  Pods that are pending deletion are still counted for quota.

What is the meaning of scopes: Terminating or scopes: NotTerminating in quota definition? It is bit confusing to understand.

Terminating means "will finish in bounded time", i.e. does not have RestartAlways and also has activeDeadlineSeconds.  NonTerminating is everything else.

BestEffort or NotBestEffort are used to explain the concept or can Pod definition can have these words?

We don't have quota per QoS class yet today, but it would be useful.

Any good documentation with examples would help in documentation.

I thought Derek had some good write ups of this.

Srinivas Kotaru

--

Srinivas Kotaru