Re: Quota Policies

If you only want to quota pods that have a more permanent footprint on the node, then create a quota that only matches on the NotTerminating scope.

If you want to allow usage of slack resources (i.e. run BestEffort pods), and define a quota that controls otherwise, create 2 quotas.

$ kubectl create quota best-effort-not-terminating --hard=pods=5 --scopes=NotTerminating,BestEffort
$ kubectl create quota not-best-effort-not-terminating --hard=requests.cpu=5,requests.memory=10Gi,limits.cpu=10,limits.memory=20Gi

So in this example:

1. the user is able to create 5 long running pods that make no resource request (i.e. no cpu, memory specified)
2. the user to request up to 5 cpu cores and 10Gi memory for scheduling purposes, and the node will work to ensure is available
3. are able to burst up to 10 cpu cores, and 20Gi memory based on node-local conditions

Thanks,
Derek