Re: query on persistent volumes

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 1:53 AM, Pri <priyanka4openshift gmail com> wrote:
Hi Erik,

Apologies for late response. I would like to know what happens to gluster storage in both cases.

1) scale up or down the gluster pods

Gluster is deployed using a daemonset, so you can't just "scale up" the pods. You would need to add nodes to the cluster and then give them the appropriate labels. Then you would get more gluster pods. But they are not yet part of the storage pool, so you would have to perform heketi-cli / topology commands/changes to get them in. It's not as trivial as scale++ and magic happens, yet.

2) scale up or down the app pods which are using gluster as persistent volume.

It depends on the PV/PVC definition. If you have an RWX PV/PVC then scaling up would result in the new instance getting attached to the same volume, similar to how NFS behaves. If the volume is RWO, then you cannot scale the app.

I'm assuming that whatever your claim is (RWX/RWO) is what you would end up getting if you are using dynamic provisioning.

Thanks a lot again!

Thanks,
Pri