help with oc cluster up

I have being trying to get a single node cluster installed and running.  I am using ubuntu 18.04 in a VM using a bridged network.  I installed docker per instructions on the docker site.  I then added docker group to my user.  I also added the insecure registry.  oc cluster up runs fine and starts the cluster.  I can log into the console.  When I try and deploy a sample php site the build fails with this message.

Cloning "https://github.com/openshift/cakephp-ex.git " ...
WARNING: timed out waiting for git server, will wait 1m4s
error: fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/openshift/cakephp-ex.git/': Could not resolve host: github.com; Unknown error

I found several articles telling me to run this command

iptables -F

I took down the cluster removed the folder it created ran the above command, still same issue.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks

--
Adam R. Nester