Configuring Private DNS Zones and Upstream Nameservers in Openshift

Is it possible like described in kubernetes?

http://blog.kubernetes.io/2017/04/configuring-private-dns-zones-upstream-nameservers-kubernetes.html

We have few clients where they configured their own consul based DNS server and not suing service discovery provided by Openshift. We build a custom solution by adding these external zones and IP addresses to dnsmasq.conf. This approach working but having few failures since it has to first check cluster zones by honoring the order specified in /etc/resolve.conf and then forward to these external DNS severs.

I saw a solution in Kubernetes 1.9 as an alpha feature  by letting clients to configure their own DNS settings in POD definitions.

https://kubernetes.io/docs/concepts/services-networking/dns-pod-service/#pods-dns-config

Openshift clients need to wait till 3.9? or is there any way currently to solve this problem?

--

Srinivas Kotaru