Re: s2i spec, doc ?

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 4:00 PM, Charles Moulliard <cmoullia redhat com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 4:21 PM, Ben Parees <bparees redhat com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 6:36 AM, Charles Moulliard <cmoullia redhat com> wrote:
Hi Charles,

The info shared is really valuable as it describes a new BuildStrategy type (= Custom) that the BuildController will process.

To be honest, I was looking about a general document describing the S2i Spec v1 Architecture, API, use cases supported and the entities (described as field, type, size, default value,...)

from an openshift perspective, that would be the buildconfig api spec:

you can drill down into the "sourcestrategy" field.

Such info should help us to discuss current situation and improvements to propose for S2I Spec v2 such as decouple compilation from docker build, ...

we've recently implemented the ability for s2i to output a dockerfile (which can then be built w/ non-docker technologies like Kaniko or Buildah) in the upstream source-to-image project.  We'll be looking to bring it to openshift in the near future.

>> Is it this PR which supports this option -> https://github.com/openshift/source-to-image/pull/878 ?

yes

That means that the dockerfile created could be then processed by non docker tools such buildah, kanibo, ... ?

yes

You can get a good overall sense of the "api" of s2i by looking at the s2i config struct:

and adopt a new version of the BuildConfig

e.g

  spec:
    output:
      to: