Re: Proposal: Deploy and switch to Discourse

:It would probably be good to solicit feedback via a survey - gather suggestions, assess how many people prefer the existing communication mechanisms we have, etc.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 12:31 PM Jason Brooks <jbrooks redhat com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 7:20 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13 gmail com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:11 AM Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think the Common's use of Slack is not a good match for "support".  Requiring an invitation is also an impediment to quickly asking questions.  Further Slack is proprietary, and also any discussion there won't be easily found by Google.
> >

> I agree here. I deeply dislike that we use Slack for that. And Slack
> is terrible for a11y, too.
>
> > On the other hand we have these mailing lists, which are fine but they're traditional mailing lists with all the tradeoffs there.
> >
> > I propose we shut down the user@ and dev@ lists and deploy a Discourse instance, which is what the cool kids ;) are doing:
> > https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/
> > http://internals.rust-lang.org/
> > etc.
> >
> > Discourse is IMO really nice because for people who want a mailing list it can act like that, but for people who both want a modern web UI and most importantly just want to drop in occasionally and not be committed to receiving a stream of email, it works a lot better.  Also importantly to me it's FOSS.
> >
> > I would also personally lean towards not using Slack too but I see that as a separate discussion - it's real time, and that's a distinct thing from discourse.  If we get a lot of momentum in our Discourse though over Slack we can consider what to do later.
> >

> I would rather not see us move to Discourse for the mailing list
> experience. I'd propose we upgrade to Mailman 3 with HyperKitty, as
> other communities around us have done. The oVirt, Ceph, and Podman
> communities already use it.

My team in Red Hat's Open Source Program Office hosts Mailman 3 for
oVirt, Podman and other projects. We'd be happy to help with hosting
and migration if the OpenShift community wants to move to Mailman 3
and Hyperkitty.

Jason