[4.x]: understand the role/ scope of image registry operator

Hi,

Initially when i read the docs [1] i assumed that image registry operator's role is similar to what we used to have in 3.x - a simple registry should the user want to use it for images built with [2]

While i was playing with 4.1 i've followed the steps mentioned in [3] because w/o it the openshift-installer will not report as installation complete. Also the CVO will not be in a healthy state ready to pick up new updates.

As such it seems that the image registry scope is different (and not documented yet, happy to follow up on docs repo once i figure out with your help ;) ) than i thought and so my questions are:

Thank you,
Dani

[1] https://docs.openshift.com/container-platform/4.1/registry/architecture-component-imageregistry.html
[2] https://docs.openshift.com/container-platform/4.1/builds/understanding-image-builds.html