Re: OpenShift Internals

On 09/28/2012 06:15 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
Hi all,
i'm trying to customize some openshift internals.
Do you have any guide or documents that explain how gears works?

For example, how can I add custom scripts to the gear? Are there any template that is cloned every time?
I would like to customize some apache settings by adding custom modules.

Is this possibile?

Hey Gandalf, we do have quite a bit of documentation online.  In terms of learning the overall system architecture, I would start here:

https://openshift.redhat.com/community/wiki/architecture-overview

We also have a collection of user oriented documentation here:

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/OpenShift/

In terms of adding custom scripts to a gear, you can look into the action_hooks concept.  That is covered in some detail here - http://red.ht/SIsGMi

Around the template, it's tied to the cartridges, but there is a structure that is used.  You can see an example of the php cartridge template here:

https://github.com/openshift/crankcase/tree/master/cartridges/php-5.3/template

You can also reference the PHP action hooks in that same directory structure - https://github.com/openshift/crankcase/tree/master/cartridges/php-5.3/template/.openshift/action_hooks

Lastly, in terms of customizing Apache, that probably depends on whether you are using our hosted service or if you have your own installed version of OpenShift Origin (I'm assuming the former).  We control the Apache setup in our hosted service, but if you chose to stand up your own OpenShift Origin instance ( https://openshift.redhat.com/community/wiki/build-your-own), you'd have the freedom to install what you see fit in Apache.

Hope this helps

-Matt