Re: Redundant setup

----- Original Message -----
> Any chance you could address the DNS pieces?
>
> -Matt

If you're using a commercial DNS service, that service will have to provide the redundancy.  Either they'll have to provide a protocol for selecting alternate update servers with fallback or they'll have to provide their own multiple virtual hosts with the same IP to manage failover.

If you're running your own DNS with BIND, I have found indications that you can set up the slave servers to accept update queries and forward them to the master.  This means, for the most robust configuration, you could have a hidden master/slave pair which accept update queries and a set of public NS slaves which accept normal queries.  On maintenance or failure you could promote the hidden slave to master so that it will continue to accept updates.

It is important to regularly flush the update journals on the master and backup the zone files offline.

It is not possible to eliminate the zone master as a short-term SPOF, but it is possible to minimize the duration of any degradation or downtime by preparing the hidden slave for promotion.

It is critical that the DNS servers are single-purpose, and for dynamic DNS, preferably dedicated to the dynamic zones both for robustness and security.

- Mark