Re: OpenSHift Origin

Hey John—

On Feb 12, 2014, at 11:48 AM, John Kinsella <jlkinsel gmail com> wrote:

> How about talking bout how RedHat does it?

With OpenShift Enterprise, we go commit-by-commit through the changes and develop a migration approach that captures whatever changed between the points in Origin that were selected to establish the Enterprise releases. (This could involve all sorts of changes, from apply schema and database updates to migrating cartridges from one version to the next.) While this is an important capability for our Enterprise subscribers as it provides an in-place update, it's also a very labor intensive process to determine the migration approach, do the documentation, testing, etc.

For Origin, we wanted to be able to encourage a more general and flexible path that the community could more easily contribute to and help improve. While we're certainly not against someone in the community volunteering to do the commit-by-commit review to provide migrations between Origin releases (the migration framework is included in Origin), we just didn't think we would find someone willing to put in that amount of time. The 'new instance and migrate’ method that I mentioned focuses more on contributions and support in the snapshot and restore tooling, and has the advantage of not being specifically limited between two exact Origin code points.

If anyone is interested in jumping in to help make this more of a reality, I can certainly point you in some directions to test and contribute back to get this rolling.

Cheers,
Harrison