opinions on log rolling defaults for JBoss

Exceeding disk quotas is an occasional issue for OpenShift applications.  At least one culprit in this is the size of historic log files.  Currently the JBoss cartridges do not trim historic log files by default.  I'd like to solicit opinions on changing this default.  On the pro side, it would help mitigate disk quota problems for heavy logging JBoss applications.  The con is that the default behavior would now result in loss of historical data that exceeds the configured file limit (which is TBD but probably around 100megs), though this could be modified by users.

This would have no effect on existing applications as the log rolling behavior is configured within the JBoss application repository and no migration would be included in this change.

(Note that there is a longer term plan[1] to improve logging in OpenShift in general, what I am proposing is a tactical fix for JBoss cartridges only, for now)

[1]https://github.com/openshift/openshift-pep/blob/master/openshift-pep-009-logging.md

Ben Parees | OpenShift