Gear link from container localhost to host localhost address

I'm trying to create a unit with a link from a port on localhost in
the container to a port on localhost of the host machine.

The reason I want to do that is so that I can add a NAT rule on the
host machine which routes the connection to another host (if
necessary) without having to restart the gear unit.
If the gear links of a running unit could be altered (via the REST
API)  we wouldn't need to do that, but I can't find an example of such
a REST API.

Unfortunately, when I use {'NetworkLinks: [{'ToHost':
'127.0.0.1',...}]} the client in the container receives a connection
refused error.

It works perfectly if I specify one of the host's non-loopback addresses.

Does anyone know if it's possible to link from container localhost to
host localhost?

Thanks in advance.

-RichardW.