Re: Chefs? Salters? Others?

Hey there--

> On Nov 18, 2014, at 09:28, Charles Simpson <csimpson gmail com> wrote:
>
> From my perspective, OpenShift is only one part of our infrastructure so moving part of it from Puppet over to Ansible is probably not going to happen. We're going to have to continue to maintain Puppet module(s) - it would be nice to have somewhere public that we could continue to share our code with. If it's not part of OpenShift "officially" (under the openshift GitHub group), we will mostly likely end up writing our own private modules since I can't argue that the public ones are "upstream" or "suggested by the vendor".

Charles, thanks for bringing this up. The goal is not to alienate puppet module users, and I know that the existing OpenShift puppet module will be maintained for some time to come.

Looking ahead, the deploy and configuration of OpenShift 3 (Origin M5) will be very different than what we have today. We will be able to provide a fully functional and extensible OpenShift 3 environment with almost no configuration for POC deployments. What used to require the installation of numerous RPMs will instead be done with a few docker pulls. This represents a very significant change in how deploy/configuration will work, so regardless of which tools we use, we will be starting with a clean slate.

Having said that, my interest in aligning oo-install for Origin M5 with Ansible does not preclude us from supporting a number of different deploy/configuration tools. It -may- even be easy for us to support a number of technologies in light of the considerably reduced amount of work that deploy/configure will require. The truth is that right now, it is a little too early to tell exactly what any of this will entail.

So:

1) Our existing puppet module is very much alive and continues to receive maintenance.

2) I would be happy to meet with you and anyone else who is interested to discuss the design of a new puppet module for Origin M5. I can't guarantee any specifics around resources or timing at this point, but I understand that a puppet module is a must-have feature for many existing and future OpenShift deployments.

Cheers,
Harrison