Re: Chefs? Salters? Others?

I'd agree with this. People are going to have existing infrastructures,
knowledge and training. To get maximum adoption it is good to support
multiple configuration management solutions.

What can help with that is reducing the amount of hacks needed. For
example, in the current puppet module the assets are compiled using bundler
which I'd consider a problem that could be solved in packaging. That
would reduce the burden on maintaining multiple installation methods
(and for simplicity I consider the manual another installation method).
Having a reliable yum install is a good thing to have anyway :)