Re: OpenShift Origin regions / districts

On Sep 17, 2014, at 11:41, David Strejc <david strejc gmail com> wrote:

Are you talking about Docker architecture?

So you say that there will be no "smooth" way to upgrade from M4 to M5?

I thought that I M5 will have option for both - Docker and current way of App deployment. So this is no true?

Our upgrade story for every Origin milestone has been to run parallel deployments and migrate apps from the older deployment to the newer one based on their source code. (Community members have developed and shared other migration tools as well.) So from this perspective, the process of migration from Origin M4 to M5 will be the same.

My comments are related to the idea that anyone running a production OpenShift system right now will probably need some time to plan and deploy a parallel system based on the new technologies. I don't want to have to tell those folks (and you) that the "region" support is not available to them until after they've migrated to M5, especially if their deployment plan involves some months of testing and rollout after M5 has been released. Sorry if that wasn't clear before.

But - we can't make a determination about the fix either way until we understand how extensive the missing functionality is. My hope is that the differences are small, easy to merge and test, and that we can have updated RPMs in a fairly short timeframe.

David Strejc
t: +420734270131

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 5:35 PM, N. Harrison Ripps <hripps redhat com> wrote:
Hey David--

> On Sep 17, 2014, at 11:16, David Strejc <david strejc gmail com> wrote:
>
> I am little bit confused with updating of OS M4 RPMs and whole release cycle of OS M4 - are they updated continuously or they are freezed till M5 arrives?

OpenShift Origin releases approximately once every 6 months. Typically there is -no- point release for Origin. However, in this instance, it makes sense to consider tracking this functionality down and releasing an update.

The main reason for at least considering the patch is that OpenShift Origin M5 will be very different than previous Origin releases. It will be based on a totally new architecture[^1], and many OpenShift administrators may choose to stick with the current architecture. For these folks the only way to provide this feature will be with a patch.

> I am quite new to OpenShift community and I can help with some things.
>
> If this is just working in master branche do you plan to have let's say M4.1 released?

That depends on what needs to be done to introduce the fix. I am hoping that we only need to update a few M4 RPMs, in which case we will rev the version numbers on the rebuilt RPMs, push them to the OpenShift repo site and provide instructions for running a simple, targeted yum update.

--Harrison

[^1]: http://openshift.github.io/documentation/openshift-pep-013-openshift-3.html