The business case for OpenShift

Hello all,

I don't want to come across as pessimistic but rather optimistic to see the light.

We love the OpenShift technology and we're investing plenty into education for staff and we provide limited (and slowly growing) OpenShift services to our clients. However, we're having a hard time identifying the business case from the clients point of view to adopt the technology as a solution. We conclude that, like all technology, its focus is just that and we should use the right tool for the job and OpenShift won't always be that tool.

Our web-dev clients we can see benefit from it. It's a saviour for them. However:
So other than OpenShift being a cool technology servicing web developers, who else can benefit?

A little maths shows the costs with Origin on EC2s pushing the acceptable cost barrier:

An EC2 of m3.2xlarge costs $564 per month and has 30GB RAM supporting 60 small gears. That's $9.50 per gear per month. Based on per hour costs and in AU$. The server would need to be running at 100% customer utilisation (not resources utilisation). The PaaS supplier would need to add their margin pushing the prices above the current options. There are always exceptions and the reserved prices are considerably lower.

I fully understand that any business could host their website and/or web application on OpenShift which is great but as it stands, their sites are working fine and the recourses to provide OpenShift instance is larger.

Happy new year.

-Andrew Galdes
Managing Director

RHCE, LPI, CCENT

AGIX Linux

Ph: 08 7324 4429
Mb: 0422 927 598

Find us: Website | LinkedIn | Blog | YouTubeGoogle+

Platform Architects for High Demand Web Applications.