Re: openshift origin,custom templates from running containers

1) docker commit the running container and tag the new imageid
2) docker push the image to dockerhub (assuming you are ok with it being public)
3) oc new-app <dockerhub image spec>

that will get the image running as a pod in openshift.

If you really want a template for it, you can then use oc export --as-template to export your project contents in template form.