Re: Restarting all instances of a service cartridge

On 05/13/2015 08:50 AM, Charles Simpson wrote:
Thanks Adam.

To clarify a little bit, the cartridge in question is an embedded cartridge. Preferably, we could restart just the embedded cartridge without restarting the whole app. Even with the --cartridge flag, oo-admin-ctl-app seems to restart every cartridge in the app; maybe I'm misusing that flag?

On each node, you can use the `oo-admin-ctl-gears` command to restart all gears on a node. Unfortunately, this will not just restart your cartridge, but instead the whole gear. You can also just restart the openshift-gears service, which will shut down all gears, then start them again.

I'm not aware of an easy method to loop through every application and restart only a single cartridge. Its silly that we don't have this, since the origin code already accepts cartridge parameters when restarting applications. I put together a lightly tested pull request for oo-admin-ctl-app to honor the --cartridge flag for start/stop/restart operations:

  https://github.com/openshift/origin-server/pull/6140

Feel free to test it if you'd like, but I'd hold off on running it in a "production" environment until its been fully tested and merged. Instead, you'll likely either have to restart all the gears, or notify your users that they should restart the cartridge themselves.