Openshift v3 WAR deployment with database

Hi,
I successfully deployed the jee sample app from bparees/javaee7-hol. Now I'm trying to use this as a template for my war application with a postgresql db.
The POD for the db is started successfully and the service is available. But when starting the application it fails since the Persistence Unit cannot be started. If I look into the standalone.xml of the server I see that the POSTGRESQL_USER,... env. variables have not been replaced during build/deployment. The "enabled" flag for the postgresql db is not set to true. From the javaee7-hol example I cannot figure out what triggers the enabled flag of the mysql datasource to true? I set the environment variables in the ...-sti.json the same way as in the example. But nothing is replaced in standalone.xml.
How/when is the replacement done?

Regards, Sebastian