Re: Wildcard DNS for OpenShift Origin

Hi Lorentz,

The reply are  inline.

El 12/11/15 a las 10:14, Lorenz Vanthillo escribió:
I have OpenShift v3 installed on an Amazon EC2 instance. The OS is CentOS7. OpenShift contains a router and routes which makes it possible to access services by their hostname.
In my initial configuration I was working like this:
  • I linked a service and a hostname via a route.
  • On my own PC (not the server), I edited /etc/hosts and added the following:
    52.18.247.x myapp.apps.example.com

As fernando pointed , you should use another EC2 instance for DNSMASQ, an instance of 1 vCPU and 512MB of RAM should be enough.
After that , in you machine ( assuming is a linux ), change the /etc/resolv.conf to something like this (52.18.247.188 is the public IP of the instance with DNSMASQ )

search apps.example.com
nameserver 52.18.247.188

52.18.247.x is my public IP of the amazon instance where my router is running. This was working. So I could acces myapp.apps.example in my browser. But I knew this was not the best way to do it. So I wanted to set up a Wildcard for resolving this issue. I cleared my /etc/hosts on my real pc and went into my amazon instance:
yum install dnsmasq
dnsmasq is running on port 53.
vi /etc/dnsmasq.conf
add:
address=/apps.example.com/52.18.247.x
Than I did a restart:
sudo service dnsmasq restart
But it is not working and I cannot visit my services (apps) in my browser. What am I doing wrong or do I forget to configure something?

All the step you point are OK.
For testing DNSMASQ you could do

# dig @52.18.247.188 myapp.apps.example.com

The response should by the ip of the Node running the Router Docker.