HA masters on AWS: Virtual IP

Hi,

A very brief question but pretty important for me. At the moment you have to use pacemaker when you want to set up multiple HA masters in OpenShift. I'm trying this on Amazon. But a pacemaker needs a Virtual IP (in the same subnet as the IP of your masters). I'm just working with seperate EC2 instances which are in different subnets. I read about Amazon's virtual private cloud-environment. There you can manage your own IP-addresses. Do I have to use this VPC when I want to set up HA masters for OpenShift on Amazon? (and is that the only option)
Thanks