Re: Resource Limits in deploymentConfigs

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 8:56 AM, v <vekt0r7 gmx net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the docs state that if I want to limit resources in a deploymentConfig those limits should be set as part of the deployment strategy:
> https://docs.openshift.org/latest/dev_guide/deployments.html
>
> However, my experience is different. I have to set the resource limits in "spec: containers:" for them to have any effect. Setting them in "strategy:" has no effect.
>
> Is that the intended behavior? What is the difference between resource limits in "strategy:" vs. resource limits in "spec: containers:"?
>
> I'm using openshift v1.0.8-1-g8f1868d

There are two different resource specifications at play here:

1. The resources consumed by the deployment _process_ that rolls our
your deployment
2. The resources consumed by the deployed application itself

The OpenShift documentation you cited is referring to 1, the resources
you wish to assign to the deployment process itself. For example, you
may define hooks in your strategy specification which have special
resource requirements.

Resources for your deployed application can be specified via the
podTemplateSpec within the deploymentConfig. For those, you can refer
to the Kube documentation for container resources[1].

Hope that clears it up. Let me know if you have any more questions!

[1] https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/blob/master/docs/user-guide/compute-resources.md