Re: Pod-based Lifecycle Hook

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Philippe Lafoucrière
<philippe lafoucriere tech-angels com> wrote:
> I think it worth adding a note in the "Pod-based Lifecycle Hook" doc then. I
> really though pre and post hook would be executed in the new created pod (it
> makes more sense than a dedicated pod to me).

The pre hook executes before any application pod exists in which to
execute hooks. For a post hook, reusing the application pod that
implies doing something like running the hook logic with exec against
your running application pod (which has a lot of other issues).

It's a pretty tricky problem and we're certainly open to discussion on
how it should work going forward. Since Kubernetes deployments are on
the horizon and will have similar concerns, would you consider
bringing your experience and opinions to the upstream issue for
hooks[1]?

[1] https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/issues/14512

> Btw, changing the pre or post spec in the DC doesn't trigger a config
> change, any reason why?

The config trigger only watches for changes to your application's pod
template within the deployment config. The hooks are considered part
of the strategy specification which is not triggered upon as it
relates to the process of rolling out your application rather than a
change to your application itself. Again, open for discussion, but
that's the rationale.