Re: Liveness vs Readiness probes

A readiness probe will ensure traffic won't be sent to a non ready container.  But if that container is in a bad state such that it will never be "ready", it's just wasting resources (and if it's your only container (replica count =1) then your application will be unavailable and stay that way).

A failing liveness probe will cause a restart of a badly behaving container, which (hopefully) will get it back to a state where it can pass a readiness probe and begins serving traffic again.
So yes, you likely still want a liveness probe.

Ben Parees | OpenShift