Re: 3 short questions about OpenShift

Generally OpenShift is built on top of Kubernetes. This means whatever
k8s provides you can safely assume OpenShift has + additional
PaaS-related features such as builds, deployments, image streams etc.
Have a look at regular OpenShift startup logs, you should see following
lines:

master.go:232] Started Kubernetes API at 0.0.0.0:8443/api/v1
master.go:232] Started Kubernetes API Extensions at 0.0.0.0:8443/apis/extensions/v1beta1
6853 master.go:232] Started Origin API at 0.0.0.0:8443/oapi/v1

which indicate you're starting both OpenShift and Kubernetes at the same time.

I hope that answers your question,
Maciej