using docker images from docker.io

hi i am trying to modify existing template to support our application.
Docker images are available in docker.io but while building it is looking for that image in private registry and fails to solve this ,i tried to push image to private registry using <docker push image ip:5000/appnomics> but it asks for username and password.Can someone tell me whats the proper way to use images located in docker.io with origin