Understanding a HA routing service with virtual IPs

Hello,

I am trying to understand the role of Virtual IPs when creating a
highly-available router.

It would be nice if somebody told me whether I am right with my
assumptions and correct me if I am wrong:
As far as I understand the wildcard DNS domain is supposed to resolve to
a Virtual IP that is always owned by only one router/node. So if a
router or node fails, another router+node will take over the virtual IP
and routing will still work.

Does this mean that openshift will add/remove ip addresses to my
ethernet interface via "ip adress add/remove"?
What is the point of specifying multiple virtual IP addresses as
described in
https://docs.openshift.com/enterprise/3.0/admin_guide/high_availability.html
?

Regards,