Re: Understanding a HA routing service with virtual IPs

Hi,

> wow, that sounds complex. But I have problems grasping what you wrote:
> What is the advantage of multiple virtual IPs compared to one single
> virtual IP address?

I'll try to help the best I can. I am not such an expert in OSE. :-)

Multiple VIPs mean you can have multiple nodes running a router, and
load-balance among them. A single router pod may not be enough to handle
the load in a big cloud.

> Here's what I did:
> I use one single Virtual IP. The wildcard DNS Domain resolves to this IP
> and only to this IP.
> I have 3 nodes, 3 routers and 3 ip-failover pods.

AFAIK this won't work with the standard OSE router and ip-failover
container images. If you want 3 nodes being able to run a router (even
if only one of them will be running at any given moment) you need 3 VIPs.

Either this or my understanding is incorrect.

If you are right you could have two VIPs but three router and three
ip-failover pods for three nodes. I was told I need a VIP for each node
even if I run fewer pods than nodes.

[]s, Fernando Lozano