Subject: Re: Wildcard DNS
To: lorenz vanthillo outlook com
From: flozano redhat com
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 13:51:05 -0200

Hi Lorenz,

You  need a DNS server to have a wildcard dns entry. /etc/hosts alone won't do it.

Check dnsmasq, it is a simple one for dev/testing environments. The line you saw is for Bind DNS server, recomended for production use but harder to setup.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

I have a router and routes to my apps but I can only access one application each time.
So /etc/hosts on my local real machine looks like this:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1       localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1             localhost

#I can access one of this because the IP is the same
#52.18.247.58 jenkins.apps.evolane.com
#52.18.247.58 myphp.apps.evolane.com
#52.18.247.58 sample.apps.evolane.com
#52.18.247.58 ruby.apps.evolane.com
#52.18.247.58 wordpress.apps.evolane.com
#52.18.247.58 influxdb.apps.evolane.com
52.18.247.58 grafana.apps.evolane.com
#52.18.247.58 test.apps.evolane.com
#52.18.247.58 sample.apps.evolane.com

In this configuration above I can only access : 52.18.247.58 grafana.apps.evolane.com. So I have to switch every time.
Now I want some configuration to make it possible that I can access them all at the same time.
I read about DNS wildcard. This will look like this for me. But where do I have to place it.

*.apps.evolane.com 300 IN A 52.18.247.58

I've set it in my /etc/hosts on my real local machine but it was not working.