build pending forever

I am trying to put together a comprehensive template for my microservices-based architecture (see other thread). I am hitting several choke points, one of which is specific enough that I thought I'd share it in a separate thread.

For starters, here's my template at this point (I'm about 30% through)

https://gist.github.com/ckemmler/f82b08ae1d8bb1e65c14531887ce88ca

The first issue I'm having is that one of my deploymentconfigs (couchdb) doesn't automatically trigger a deployment, while another very similar one (mysql) does.

The other issue is one that I see mentioned quite often: another one of my services never gets built, i.e. it's forever in "pending" state.

How do I get out of this limbo?

Also, I'm using a somewhat outdated version of OpenShift:

[admin server-3 development]$ oc version
oc v1.1.0.1-1-g2c6ff4b
kubernetes v1.1.0-origin-1107-g4c8e6f4

Is there a smooth upgrade path?