speed up pushes to local registry

I'm always surprised at the time it takes for a new image to be pushed to the local registry. I would expect this to be fast, but it's really not.

That said I haven't set up docker storage to use a separate block device as is recommended because my hosting service (vultr) doesn't have them (at least in my region)... Could that explain it?