Re: Only the previous 1000 log lines and new log messages will be displayed because of the large log size.

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 5:00 AM, Den Cowboy <dencowboy hotmail com> wrote:
My webconsole is showing the following warning when I'm looking for the logs of a pod:
Only the previous 1000 log lines and new log messages will be displayed because of the large log size.

I'm pretty sure this is just a web console restriction and you can get the full logs from oc logs.

I'm afraid the logsize will be huge?
This is for a tomcat-container which isn't using persistent storage (it's hosting a web service which is showing logs after being triggered). Okay it's ephemeral so the logs will be gone when I delete the container (but normally this container never goes down).

Container storage is irrelevant. The only logs you can retrieve are the ones that are sent to stdout / stdin, i.e. generally for tomcat the java console logs. These go into Docker logs and can be retrieved via Kubernetes.

If you're writing log files inside container storage then you can't retrieve them from the console or oc logs, you have to oc rsync them or similar.

Either way, yes, the logs will be gone when the pod is gone. You may also find aggregated logging interesting (https://docs.openshift.org/latest/install_config/aggregate_logging.html).

So the amount of saved logs will be huge. Is the container saving (ephemeral) the logs for some max amount of time?

You can configure docker log rotation based on size - https://docs.openshift.org/latest/install_config/install/prerequisites.html#managing-docker-container-logs

I think the default is still to not rotate and just let the log files grow.