Origin openshift-ansible bin/cluster customization

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not....but here goes.

I've been trying to get origin working with the bin/cluster utility
from openshift-ansible on AWS. If I want a default, one master, one
infra, 2 compute cluster, it works great.

However, when you want something other than that it goes south. For
example, the default installation will give you a cluster that has the
AllowAllPasswordIdentityProvider - which is clearly not the best for a
cluster exposed to the Internet. Of course, the playbooks allow you to
specify something else, which is what I'd like to do if I find a way
to do it. However, setting the vars manually in bin/cluster (in
cluster.create()) doesn't seem to work the way that I'd expect it to,
the playbook errors out with this:

TASK [openshift_master : Install httpd-tools if needed] ************************
fatal: [test1-master-9f81f]: FAILED! => {"failed": true, "msg": "The
conditional check '(item.kind == 'HTPasswdPasswordIdentityProvider')
and not openshift.common.is_atomic | bool' failed. The error was:
error while evaluating conditional ((item.kind ==
'HTPasswdPasswordIdentityProvider') and not openshift.common.is_atomic
| bool): 'unicode object' has no attribute 'kind'\n\nThe error appears
to have been in
'/root/openshift-ansible/roles/openshift_master/tasks/main.yml': line
74, column 3, but may\nbe elsewhere in the file depending on the exact
syntax problem.\n\nThe offending line appears to be:\n\n\n- name:
Install httpd-tools if needed\n  ^ here\n"}

I'm not sure exactly where I went wrong here.