Adding a node to the cluster without ansible

Hello,

I would like to add an additional node to the cluster without using ansible.
(We have modified our cluster in many ways and don't dare running ansible because it might break our cluster.)

This is what I have tried:
oadm create-node-config
--node-dir=/root/xyz04
--node=xyz.com
--hostnames=xyz.com,123.456.0.4
--certificate-authority /etc/origin/master/ca.crt
--signer-cert /etc/origin/master/ca.crt
--signer-key /etc/origin/master/ca.key
--signer-serial /etc/origin/master/ca.serial.txt
--master xyz.com:8443

This command thorws the following error message:
"Generating node credentials ...
error: open openshift.local.config/master/ca.crt: no such file or directory"
I don't know why the command ist trying to access "openshift.local.config"...

Also, the files created in the directory are not helpful:
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1123 Feb  4 11:58 master-client.crt
-rw-------. 1 root root 1675 Feb  4 11:58 master-client.key
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 2209 Feb  4 11:58 server.crt
-rw-------. 1 root root 1675 Feb  4 11:58 server.key

What about the files for the service accounts? Like system:node:xyz04.crt
Those are not being created either.

Is there a guide anywhere about how to add a node to the cluster manually without ansible?

Regards,