Environment variable in OpenShift

I want to show an env var in my docker container. The PHP script looks like this:
 <head>
  <title>Show Use of environment variables</title>
 </head>
  <?php
  print "env is: ".$_ENV["USER"]."\n";
  ?>
I use OpenShift to start the container (s2i-build). After curling to the service of the PHP - container:
env is:
Now I change the dc config of my container:
oc env dc/envar USER=Pieter
deploymentconfig "envar" updated
When I access the container. The env var of USER is Pieter
docker exec -it 44a0f446ae36 bash
bash-4.2$ echo $USER
Pieter
But my script remains showing: "env is:" It does not fill in the variable.

What's the reason for this? The env variable is really there.