Re: Run extra docker registry on OpenShift Origin 1.1

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 4:22 AM, Den Cowboy <dencowboy hotmail com> wrote:
I've the OpenShift registry which will contain all my images I've created inside my OpenShift cluster. But I want to run an external registry on OpenShift.

What's your motivation for running a separate registry?

At the moment it's just running with docker I performed this steps:

Create self-signed certificates (SSL)

$ mkdir -p certs && openssl req \

  -newkey rsa:4096 -nodes -sha256 -keyout certs/domain.key \

  -x509 -days 365 -out certs/domain.crt

Create user + password file

$ docker run --entrypoint htpasswd registry:2 -Bbn testuser testpassword > auth/htpasswd

Create container for storing data = "" container (not running)

$ docker create -v /var/lib/registry --name registry-dv registry:2

Start registry server

$ docker run -d -p 5000:5000 --restart=always --name ec2-52-29-xx-xx.xx-central-1.compute.amazonaws.com --volumes-from registry-dv \

  -v `pwd`/auth:/auth \

  -e "REGISTRY_AUTH=htpasswd" \

  -e "REGISTRY_AUTH_HTPASSWD_REALM=Registry Realm" \

  -e REGISTRY_AUTH_HTPASSWD_PATH=/auth/htpasswd \

  -v `pwd`/certs:/certs \

  -e REGISTRY_HTTP_TLS_CERTIFICATE=/certs/domain.crt \

  -e REGISTRY_HTTP_TLS_KEY=/certs/domain.key \

registry:2

Now is my question how I'm able to start this registry in OpenShift. Is it possible to use docker volume containers in OpenShift or do I have to use NFS or something ?

We wouldn't recommend Docker volumes as they are specific to whatever host your container runs on, and are not managed by OpenShift. Instead, if you want data persistence, you should use a persistent volume. See https://docs.openshift.com/enterprise/3.0/dev_guide/persistent_volumes.html.

And is it possible to use the -v and -e flag inside the oc new-app command? -e, --env=[]: Specify key value pairs of environment variables to set into each container should work so can I perform:

oc new-app registry:2 --name registry -e ...?

Yes, you can specify -e for env vars. You'll need to do volumes separately. See below.

But the biggest problem seems to mee to mount the created certs and auth folder to the volume of my registry on OpenShift?
I read this: https://docs.openshift.com/enterprise/3.0/dev_guide/volumes.html
Is there maybe another example with the process of mounting folders inside volumes which will be used in OpenShift.

We recommend putting sensitive information such as keys and certificates in secrets, and then mounting 1 or more secrets volumes into your container. You can use the 'oc volume' command to do this. See:

https://docs.openshift.com/enterprise/3.0/dev_guide/secrets.html
https://docs.openshift.com/enterprise/3.0/dev_guide/volumes.html