Re: master and etcd installation

On Jan 6, 2016 12:58 AM, "Srinivas Naga Kotaru (skotaru)" <skotaru cisco com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> What is the best way to deploy master and etcd  on production setups?
>
> - Combine master and etcd on same nodes
>         - separate mater and etcd to its own nodes
>
> I knew that we should require minimum of 3 nodes for etcd cluster HA.
>
> What is pros and cons of running separately or combining together apart from saving few nodes or cleaner isolation?

That is the main tradeoff, saving hosts by co-residing the services vs. isolating the services.

>  What other considerations we need to keep in mind
>
> - CPU
>    - Memory

Memory will be the main resource, etcd memory usage will grow with the cluster size and the number of resources deployed.

>         - API traffic
>        - etcd cluster health traffic
>       - OVS network latency or performance?
>       - any other factors ??

Masters can be scaled independently from the etcd cluster and require less resources.

The only other consideration I see is that replacing a master host (outside of the master hosting the CA) does not require restoration of data from backup, where replacing an etcd host would (that, or the etcd cluster would need to be modified through etcdctl to add a new host and remove the old host).