Re: Pod never starts and cannot delete; completely stops openshift from responding

Deletions are graceful by default - you can pass --grace-period=0 to
force delete the offending pod.

This is almost always related to nodes being misconfigured.  There was
an issue where nodes may have gotten their node names changed to their
IP in 1.1 can you verify that the nodes the pods are assigned to match
actual node names in the system?