Re: port 53 and dnsmasq

Port 53 is reserved for the Domain Name System (DNS).

In your case it is the DNS cacher "/usr/sbin/dnsmasq" of the package
dnsmasq-base that's causing this error message.

This pre-installed package is a dependency of network-manager, the
Network Manager of your desktop environment (e.g. Unity, GNOME, …).

If you'd like to keep NetworkManager alive, you can create a custom DNS
in order to move the SkyDNS server to a different port (i.e. 8053) and
have the dnsmasq server forward local requests to it by installing
dnsmasq (fully) and following these guides:

- http://red.ht/1Im8qLI
- http://bit.ly/1J5FCHf

Otherwise, consider the following comments - http://bit.ly/23x4NK2 -
before attempting to remove dnsmasq-base or kill port 53.

Sincerely,

Mike