logging-es errors: shards failed

When doing searches in Kibana, I get error messages similar to "Courier Fetch: 919 of 2020 shards failed".  Deeper inspection reveals errors like this: "EsRejectedExecutionException[rejected execution (queue capacity 1000) on org elasticsearch search action SearchServiceTransportAction$23 14522b8e]".

A bit of investigation lead me to conclude that our Elasticsearch server was not sufficiently powerful, but I spun up a new one with four times the CPU and RAM of the original one, but the queue capacity is still only 1000.  Also, 2020 seems like a really ridiculous number of shards.  Any idea what's going on here?

--
Alex Wauck // DevOps Engineer

E X O S I T E
www.exosite.com