TLS: secure routes on OpenShift

I read about the 3 types of secure routes:
- Edge : encrypts routing from outside till router
- Passthrough: encrypts routing from outside till pod
- Re-encrypt: encrpyts from outside till router and than reencrypts from router till pod (internally)

I'm able to create such a routes using the webconsole (or cli).
But I don't really know what to do if I have an application which needs to connect with these secure routes?
For example:

project test1 (ns)
1 pod which is hosting some API service

project test2 (ns)
1 pod which is hosting some website which needs to connect with the API service.

When you start the pod in project2 you're able to give an ENV VAR which will contain the path to your API service:
oc new-app -e URL="" test1/app1

But when we have only a secure route to our API (so https)
And we will start the pod in project2 with:
oc new-app -e URL="" test1/app1

What do we need to do to have a full communication? Do we need to add the certificate(s) of our app1 somewhere for app2?