Modifying an example image for deployment from source

I'm trying to take an existing Django application that we have running on a system and make it so that I can deploy into a lab origin environment that I have set up. I started by going through the example Django application: https://github.com/openshift/django-ex

I didn't have any major problems with deploying that. I then tried to adapt our existing application based on the example; I added the requirements text file made some small label modifications to the template file and attempted to deploy our application from our private git repository. It is bombing out while building the application due to the fact that it is unable to install one of the items listed in the requirements.txt file. I built another docker container and narrowed it down to needing the libffi-devel package.

After pouring over the documentation, I'm having trouble figuring out the proper way to make a source image based on the openshift/django:3.5 image that has the included package. I've gone over the documentation for building s2i images and such, but don't quite grasp the procedure for building something generic that does not have any application source code included and pushing that to an internal repository to be included in a configuration file and be deployed with the new-app command. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.